Sunday, January 18, 2009

QUESTION : What do you get when you cross a Tiger during Winter?

...give up? FROSTBITE!! Hahaha - get it? Huh? Frostb- ok, that joke sucked. *sigh* Anyway...

My first freelance project in 2009! But this isn't really it... everything down here is being scrapped and redone, that's why I'm able to post it. It's still a W.I.P., maybe will post the details and finished work when it's done.

Anyway, it's a Tiger [duh]. The client went to my wife first for her to make several designs of different animal mascots for their service/product and the tiger is one of the designs that made it. My part was to build the mascots in 3D and rig them up for animation and stills and stuff.

The challenge in this is that it had to really match the original 2D cartoon design - every pose that it makes needs to have a nice, smooth silhouette and all the deformations should still retain that 2D-ishness [?] of the original design. My favorite reference for that kind of stuff was Kung Fu Panda with their ultra-squishy 3D characters that behaved very 2d-like [no offense to WALL-E, but come on... Kung Fu Panda was wayyyy more fun!].

So these were the test renders to see whether the deformation rig would work or not [this is the model without the costumes on, since the main issue was body deformation]. At first I was going to do a full muscle-rig but then I realised that [*small voice* I wasn't being paid enough to go through that kind of trouble :P] So in the end, it came down to the normal careful weight-painting and a lot of pose-space deformers for corrective blendshapes.

Hopefully when this whole thing is done, I can post up the images a few months from now :D

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

dem. lawa

Jijoe said...

No la biasa je... your blog is pretty cool too! Haven't seen your stuff since you moved to Delta, but your character modeling is damn solid now

Anonymous said...

tu la. u dah tak ajar. learn a bit during my internship. but still u tetap awesome.